Counting My Blessings

I have recently been afforded the opportunity to teach a graduate course for Marist College in Poughkeepsie, NY, entitled Designing Curriculum and Instruction.

I have taught graduate courses for Aurora University, Northern Illinois University, and Western Illinois University, going back to approximately 2004, and I have enjoyed every single course and every single student.  However, this was the first time I have taught a course in four or so years.  What a joy!  What a privilege!  Thanks to Marist for giving me the opportunity.

I have always enjoyed teaching graduate courses.  I guess it brings me back to my salad days--my undergraduate days at the University of Wisconsin, my time at Eastern Kentucky University, my cohort pals at Northern Illinois, or my very special days as a college baseball coach and athletic director at Lakeland College, during which I taught several undergraduate courses.  Though I miss those days and wonder what my life would have been like had I made different decisions along they way, I think it is more than nostalgia.

It is about feeling like one is making a difference in the profession.  Contributing to something larger than oneself.

These are difficult days to be a superintendent.  No matter how resolute, how experienced, how talented, it is easy to get trapped into questioning oneself when criticism of all things runs rampant and random and when everyone is an expert.

But, this spring, I am counting my blessings.  This spring I am teaching 19 teacher certification candidates in their first graduated course--quite different than the other graduate courses I have taught, in which most of the students were experienced teachers.

Every week they remind my why everything else that I have to deal with is worth it.  They are the next generation of educators, bright-eyed young people committed to the ideal of students first.  They fill my cup.  They give me hope.

Another thing that gives me hope is my superintendent colleagues from across the nation who are fighting the good fight on behalf of students.  These last three days I have also blessed to reconnect with many of them at the AASA’s National Conference on Education.  I am continually amazed at the incredible things they are accomplishing in their districts.  Keep up the good work, all.  You, too, fill my cup.  Follow your convictions and stay in the game.  This country needs you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming the Joy in Schools

Arlington Central School District Commits to Personalizing Learning for All Students